Still using Windows 7 and looking for a upgrade to Windows 10. You can do so for free using your Windows 7 key.
Though Microsoft had already ended its Windows 7 free upgrade offer in 2016. However, it is still working in 2023. Recently, I have tested it personally, and it is still working.
I discovered it when I performed a free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my laptop using my Windows 7 product key. Though I cannot guarantee that it will work for everyone, but there is no harm in giving it a try.
Here is a guide to find the missing product key in Windows.
Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10
If you have not yet upgraded, you still have the chance to get a free upgrade to Windows 10. Let’s find out the steps how to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
Users can either do an in-place upgrade on same computer or a new clean install on a new PC. In both methods simply use the Windows 7 Serial key when it ask and it will work perfectly.
Make sure you have enough free disk space before upgrading. Check the minimum free disk space required for Windows 10 upgrade.
Before starting up the upgrade process, I suggest you to take a backup of your important data. Find here Best backup Software for Windows.
1) In-place Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10
In place upgrade help you to upgrade your existing Windows 7 or Windows 8 system to the latest windows10 by keeping all your programs and data migrated to the latest version. But still we recommend you to take the backup of your data before starting the procedure.
Download & run Media Creation Tool provided by Microsoft.
Select the option ‘upgrade this PC‘. When you run the media creation tool it will give you two options. Select the first one “Upgrade this PC now”.
Wait while it download the required files and then click ‘Install’ button. It may take some time in downloading Windows 10 files from the internet. So it depends on your internet speed that how much time will it take. If you are using a pirated or cracked version then it may ask you to enter the product key. Otherwise it will not ask for any product / license key and upgrade process will go smoothly. After completion of download, click on the ‘Install‘ button.
Select ‘Keep the personal files and apps’ option. After clicking on the install button, it will ask for what to keep. You can choose data only, data & apps or nothing. By default it will select the ‘data & apps‘ option.
Wait while upgrade process finishes. Click on the next button and it will start the upgrade process and may restart the system several times.
Congrats!! It done. Just set the privacy settings on first run. If everything goes smooth you are welcome by Welcome screen of Windows 10. It will ask you to set the privacy settings first. Set the privacy settings and you are ready to go.
2) Upgrade to Windows 10 by installing a fresh copy
The second method to upgrade to Windows 10 is by installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 either on the same PC or on a new PC. This method is useful when you want to upgrade your laptop or desktop with new hardware.
Though most new laptops come with an OEM version of the latest Windows operating system, for custom-built PCs, you can install a clean copy of Windows 10 using the Windows 7 product key. The full, detailed procedure is mentioned in this section: Upgrade Windows with USB
How to Upgrade to Windows 10 without internet
If you have no internet connectivity on a PC then you can download the Windows ISO file from another PC. By this method you don’t need the Internet connection on that PC to install a New Windows.
Download the ISO file and create a bootable USB.
Follow the below steps to create a bootable Windows 10 disk.
1. Download the Windows media creation tool from the Microsoft website.
2. Download and Run this file. It is approx. 18 MB in size.
3. It will ask for two options – upgrade this PC or download for another PC. Choose second option.
4. Choose “Create installation media for another PC”. It will ask you to make a bootable USB or download an ISO image.
5. We prefer to use the bootable USB. It needs at least 8 GB free space in the USB Stick. After the completion of this process you have a Valid and legal official windows 10 available in your USB drive. Now you can install the Windows 10 on another PC or on a different partition without the requirement of Internet.
Now boot system using the Windows 10 bootable disk and follow the installation or upgradation process mentioned in the next section.
Upgrade a PC From Windows 7 to Windows 10 by USB disk
- Insert a bootable Windows 10 USB disk and set the PC to boot the PC with USB by making USB the first boot device in the BIOS settings.
- The Windows 10 setup will initialize. Click on the “Install Now” button. After that, it will ask for the activation key. You can enter the activation key here. Or simply click on “I don’t have a product key.” But you need to enter the key later, after installation. You can use your existing Windows 7 key.
- On the next step, it will ask for an upgrade or for a custom install. Select Upgrade if you are going to upgrade the existing Windows 7 installation. Or, for a new Windows 10 installation, you can choose Custom Installation.
With a custom (advanced) installation, you will lose all your data and apps, and it will be a fresh new installation.
When it asks for a Serial number or Product Key. Use your Windows 7 Key and it will take without any hassle. If this does not work for you then I will recommend you to buy a valid Windows 10 product key from the Microsoft Store.
Buying Windows 10 is a onetime purchase process and you will get the unlimited updates / upgrades.
Update: Recently Microsoft released Windows 11. And all Windows 10 licensed users are eligible to upgrade to the new Windows 11. Here is a complete guide on How to upgrade to Windows 11.
Video Guide to upgrade to Windows 10
If you are not comfortable to understand the text guide then watch the Video guide.