3 Methods to Create a Bootable Windows 10 USB / DVD Installer
Microsoft give option for in-place upgrade to switch to the latest Windows 10. But sometimes users require to do a clean install of Windows 10 to a new computer or Re-installation. In this case a Windows 10 bootable disk is required.
How to Create Bootable Windows 10 USB Disk?
Now you can create your own boot-able Windows 10 USB flash drive with or without the help of third party software. There are mainly 3 easy methods to create a bootable Windows 10 disk to reinstall or do a fresh installation of Windows 10.
1. Windows USB / DVD Download Tool
This is the old and still reliable method to create a bootable media for Windows Installation. Its name can confuse you but It is also working for Windows 10 as well. Users can easily make a bootable disk from an iso image file with this utility.
- This process needs an empty USB stick (Min: 8GB). Quick format the USB drive first.
- Download Windows USB / DVD Download Tool & Install it on your computer.
- After finishing its installation, Run it.
- It requires ISO image file of the windows. Select the ISO image and start the process. you can download the iso file of windows 10 using media creation tool as mentioned in method 2.
- It will create a bootable USB / DVD installer.
2. Windows Media Creation Tool by Microsoft
This is the easiest and reliable method to create a Windows 10 bootable installation disk for Windows 7 and 8 users.
How to download windows 10 bootable USB or ISO image for clean windows installation.
- Download the windows media creation tool. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209.
- Select create installation media for another PC.
- Select Language / Edition and Architecture as per your requirement. To know more about it go to
- Select USB flash drive for Bootable USB or ISO file for Bootable DVD.
You can download windows 10 iso file for free directly from Microsoft using this media creation tool.
3. Create Bootable Windows 10 disk With the help of third party software
Building a boot-able flash drive becomes pretty easy with the use of external software, named Rufus. Here are the essential guidelines when using Rufus for making a bootable Windows 10 flash drive.
- Download Rufus.
- Open Rufus.exe
- When the software launches on the screen, plug in your USB flash drive.
- Find the option Create a bootable USB drive.
- From the menu that follows, select an ISO image.
- Now click on the button next to this menu and click the Windows 10 ISO which you want to install on your computer.
- Now hit Start and the software will begin to create the bootable USB flash drive.
- Once you have developed the USB flash drive, just plug it in and you are ready to install / reinstall Windows 10.
4. Create Bootable USB disk Manually using command prompt
If you have windows 10 installation file and need to create a bootable disk USB drive or DVD. There is a way to create the boot-able Windows 10 USB flash drive without the help of Rufus or any other such software. Follow the given guidelines carefully as this method is a little complicated:
- Plug in your USB drive.
- Search Command Prompt.
- Run it as an administrator.
- Open the disk management utility using Command prompt.
- For this purpose, type diskpart in the CMD and hit Enter.
- Now type list disk and hit Enter. This will display the list of available connected disks.
- From this list you need to select your USB drive. For this, type select disc # and press Enter (Replace # with your disk number from the list)
- The next step is to clean the USB drive. For this purpose, type clean and hit Enter.
- Now create a bootable partition, simply type Create partition primary and press Enter.
- You need to select the partition you just created. Type select partition 1 and then type active and hit Enter.
- Now format the USB drive by typing format fs=fat32. After this press Enter.
- Assign a letter to your USB drive, just type assign.
- Finally, copy all the files of Windows 10 and paste them in the USB drive. Files can be copied from a Windows 10 disk or by extraction from an ISO file.
And that is all there is to know about the manual creation of a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive. all the methods are equally useful. If you’re an expert you can use the manual method without taking help of software, but beginners are advised to seek software help to avoid any complications. The best and easy method is using the Windows Media Creation Tool .
Why we need to create a bootable Windows 10 USB drive?
Since the availability of USB drives, the use of CD and DVD has prominently declined. The major reasons behind this are the ease of use, portability, larger capacity and faster copying of data files by the USB drives in comparison to the older methods. All you need is a flash drive with a capacity of more than 4GB, although 6 to 12 GB available space is ideal for storing additional files as well.
Please share your experience with the creation of bootable windows 10 disk using the below comment box.