On the launch of the Windows 10 in 2015 Microsoft had given 1 year time to Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 10 for Free. Later on, they extended this time and then close the offer. But people are still asking that is there any way to get free upgrade offer? And I can simply answer ‘Yes‘. Jump directly to Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10.
Recently I tried to install the windows 10 on my new PC, and I was successfully able to use my windows 7 key. I just gave it a try and found that the deal is still on. Though I can not guarantee that it will work for everyone, but there is no harm in trying.
See the below process of upgrading to windows 10 from windows 7. You can also create a bootable Windows 10 disk with it to install Windows 10 on a different PC.
How to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?
Users who still have not switched to the newer Windows 10. I advised them to switch as early as possible as Microsoft is going to shut down the support for Windows 7 operating system. First of all download the Windows 10 media creation tool, which is required to upgrade from Windows 7 / 8 to Windows 10.
Upgrade process is hassle free. All your programs and data will be migrated to Windows 10, if you do the In-place upgrade.
First of all you need a genuine Windows 7 serial number to upgrade windows 7 to windows 10 for free. During this process you have two options either upgrade Win7 to Win10 on the same PC known as inplace upgrade. Or Install the Windows 10 on a different PC or partition.
1. In-place upgrade :
In this process all your data, installed software and settings will be migrated automatically to the Windows 10. Follow the below steps to start the upgrade process. Before start, make sure you have enough free disk space before upgrading to Windows 10 in your system drive. Minimum free disk space required for Windows 10 upgrade.
- Download Windows media creation tool. And run it in the Windows 7.
- It will give you to options to select from Select the first one ‘Upgrade this PC now‘.
- It may take some time in downloading Windows 10 files from the internet. So it depends on your internet speed that how much time will it take.
- If you are using a pirated or cracked windows then it may ask for a product key. Otherwise, it will not ask for any license key.
- After completion of download it will ask for what to keep. You can choose data only, data and apps or nothing. By default, data and apps option is selected.
- Click on the next and it will start the upgrade process and may restart windows several time.
- Congrats, if everything goes smooth you will be welcomed by Windows 10.
See the below video for a quick reference.
2. Download and create a bootable disk to upgrade another PC.
Using below method you can download the Windows 10 ISO file directly from the Microsoft. And it can be installed on a new computer using Windows 7 serial key.
Steps to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7
- Download the Windows media creation tool from the Microsoft website.
- Download and Run this file. It’s an approx 18 MB file.
- It will ask for two options – upgrade this PC or download for another PC. If you need an ISO image or windows 10 on to a bootable USB then choose second option. Otherwise, choose first.
- Choose “Create installation media for another PC”. It will ask you to make a bootable USB or download an ISO image. You can later burn an ISO to USB / CD or DVD.
- We prefer to use the bootable USB. It needs at least 8 GB free space in the USB Stick. After the completion of this process you have a Valid and legal official windows 10 available in your USB drive. Now you can install the Windows 10 on another PC or on a different partition.
- When it asks for a Serial number or Product Key. Use your Windows 7 Key and it will take without any hassle. (It worked for me in 2018 as well. Let me know if it worked for you in 2019 or not? )
This is an easier method to get genuine Windows 10. So now avoid downloading from torrents or other illegal methods. But if this does not work for you then I will recommend you to buy a valid product key from the Microsoft.
Buying Windows 10 is a onetime purchase and you will get the unlimited updates / upgrades. Microsoft announces Windows 10 as the last version and provides it as a service.
Q: It is asking for the product key, and my old Windows 7 key is not working. What to do?
A: Some times it happened that if you have a genuine Windows 7 key and still Windows installer can throw message like “This product key didn’t work”. In this case you can try to re-activate Windows 7 first. And then start upgrading again, now installer will skip this step.
A: Yes, you can just choose “create installation media for another PC” or mount the ISO file to your USB. And then run the installer from the USB. It will then copy the files from the USB instead of downloading again from the internet.
Q: Do I need to take the backup? Is there any option to revert to Windows 7?
A: Taking backup of your important data is a good practice, you should do this on regular basis. Though there is option to rollback to windows 7, but we recommend you to adapt the new system instead of rolling back. There are lots of Windows 10 Tutorials available online.
Q: Can I upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10?
A: Yes, upgrading from Windows 8, Windows 8.1 process is almost same as of Windows 7. You can follow the above steps.
Q: Can I upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 10?
A: Before upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 10 you should consider two things (1) First you can’t migrate all your data, programs or settings. You need to take the backup of data first. Actually it is like a New installation. (2) Secondly, Your old hardware may be not compatible or insufficient for the new Windows 10. So we advise you to upgrade Windows 10 along-with the hardware.
Please share your experience whether it worked for you or not. Ask freely if you face any error during upgrade.
Q: Can I migrate my HDD to SSD and then upgrade it to Windows 7 as well?
A: Yes, you can do it easily. You just need to migrate your hdd to ssd. After migrated to SSD, follow the above Windows 10 in-place upgrade process and rock the upgraded Windows 10.