Are you wondering, what is Ransomware Virus / Trojan / malware and how to avoid your PC getting infected with Ransomware virus? The first thing that you need to do is find out what exactly is Ransomware.
What is Ransomware
As its name indicates, it is a malware that will kidnap the information on your computer. Once it infects your computer, Ransomware will encrypt some or even your entire list of files and then the attacker will start demanding that you pay them money to get the decryption key from them.
Mostly, Ransomware infects your computer via an infected program or through email attachments or even when you visit malicious websites. Ransomware is also known by other names like Cryptoviruses, Cryptotrojans, Cryptoworms.
Ransomware was first detected way back in 2006 when Cryzip or Zippo began to be circulated via private online users. If you find that Ransomware has infected your computer you will start receiving emails in which a ransom will be demanded. The email sender will ask you to cough up a few hundred dollars to help you get the key that will unlock your files. A variant of Ransomware, Cryptolocker Trojan will go to the extent of displaying the ransom notes on your computer screen.
A certain type of Ransomware will shut you out of an infected computer and will then display a banner that says that the victim has violated certain laws by viewing child pornography sites and therefore has to pay a ransom to unlock the computer. These are known as Police Trojans.
Ransomware attacks computers when the user opens an attachment from an unknown source or visits a malicious website. Even if you try to navigate away from the attachment Ransomware will initiate a drive-by download and infect your computer. Once it gets on to your computer it will search for common file types and when it locates them it encrypts the files and leaves a note on your computer saying that you have to pay a ransom to unlock the files.
The only good news for you is that most current anti-virus software programs can detect most known types of Ransomware. But still there are emerging new ransomware threat every day and also a firewall will not be able to protect you against an infiltration. For the full protection against ransomware we have to make strong our defense against malware. So we need to install the Best Antimalware Software. And we can also consider these antiransomware software.
The bad news is that once you get infected then there is very less chance to recover your data without paying ransom. Even in some cases unable to decrypt the data after paying ransom. Or the other option is to Format your computer and reinstall your Operating System Software.
Tips to prevent Ransomware
- One and best way of getting around Ransomware is by backing up your computer regularly to an external drive.
- Another good way is keep you important files and data on a cloud backup system. It will give you extra layer of protection if your external hard drive get damaged.
- Always take regular backups with system backup, In some cases restoring from system backup do a quick solution to your problem.
- Always keep updated your operating syetems and other installed software.
- Install a good reputed Antivirus program along with reputed antimalware Software and update them regularly.
- Download any software from trusted sources and keep your open when you install any new software to avoid any third party software installation during your main program installation.
- Never open Spam or unknown senders emails. Never click popup ads or on the links / banners from unknown sources.
- Also, you should be very careful about the sites you visit and you should also never open email attachments from unknown senders.