Ransomware are the biggest threat in today’s world which extort money to decrypt the data encrypted by a ransomware malware / trojan. Cryptowall ransomware released its version 4.0 with stronger encryption algorithm which makes it very hard to detect by any antivirus software.
What is CryptoWall 4.0
Cryptowall is a encryption based ransomware. As per Bitdfender this ransomware is using AES 256 encryption algorithm and its key is encryptied with RSA 2048. Bitdefender also reveals that so far cryptowall 4.0 has mainly targeted the countries US, China, India, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Romania, Kenya, South Africa, Kuwait and Philippines. They found that its server is located in Russia. And Russian users are safe as if it detect Russian as keyboard language then it skip its encryption process. According to Bitdefender alone in US Cryptowall 3.0 did the $325 million of damage. It spreads by spam emails and drive-by-attacks.
What is Bitdefender Anti-ransomware or Anti-cryptowall
Bitdefender has made a tool to protect you from encruption based malware and named as Anti Ransomware. Because the most dangerous and damaging antiransomware is cryptowall so it is also known as Anti CryptoWall. And the latest threat is the fourth version of the Cryptowall, So bitdefender also call it as CryptoWall 4.0 Vaccine. Now bitdefender released the latest version of its Anti-Ransomware tool with protection from CTB-Locker, Locky and TeslaCrypt Family Ransomware.
Download Bitdefender CryptoWall Vaccine
Bitdefender CryptoWall 4.0 Vaccine
Bitdefender has released the vaccine to protect you from this dangerous ransomware and included it in its tool anti ransomware
Note: This is an extra layer of protection and recommended to use with your anti malware and Antivirus Software.
It is not of any use if your computer is already infected with it or any other ransomware. So they called it a vaccine.
Don’t be confused with the above image Bitdefender Anti-Cryptowall is now Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware
Download Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware Protection
What if you are already infected with it.
You have nothing to do much. In this case there are two options
- Format your system and reinstall your operating system
- Pay the ransom to get the encryption key. note that there is no guarantee that you will get the key even after paying the ransom money.
What can you do to prevent Cryptowall ransomware infection
- Always keep you operating system and Software utilities up to date.
- Take regular backups of your system on some external location. like in an external hard drive or on a Cloud backup drive.
- Avoid storing your sensitive information on your computer.
- Never open emails sent by unknown senders or spam emails. This is one of the main source of the infection.
- Never download any spam email attachment or any unknown file from unknown sources.
- Use a good Internet Security suite alongwith a good antimalware software for extra layer of protection.