Desktop icons are not Showing – Icons Disappeared
Bring back the missing desktop items / icons
My desktop icons are not showing. Most of my programs are also not showing in start menu.
There may be three reasons behind this.
- Sometimes a desktop setting “show desktop icons” get disabled unusually. See Solution 1 for this.
- If you can’t see your taskbar along with your desktop icons, that means the explorer.exe file could not be loaded properly. See Solution 2 to fix this.
- Might be a possibility that a virus came into your computer and change the desktop file’s attribute as hidden. And also change the same settings in the system registry as well. See Solution 3, Solution 4 for this.
We are giving you some possible methods to fix this issue, please follow the steps carefully.
How to fix – Desktop icons are not Showing
Below solutions may help you to fix this issue in all the versions of Windows like Windows 7, 8, 8.1, Windows 10, Vista, XP, and Server as well.
4 solutions to fix it
Solution 1 – Enable “Show Desktop Icons” option
- Right click on clean area of desktop
- Then click on “View” >> and then go to “show Desktop Icons” and click on it to make it checked.
- You will appear you desktop icons back.
Solution 2 – Reload Explorer.exe (Fix it myself manually)
Note: Apply only if the taskbar not appeared
On the desktop (No icons Screen) Press Ctrl+alt+Delete key together to open the Task manager
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together and task manager will open
- In the task manager, click on the tab “Processes” and here you’ll find Explorer.exe in the list, righ-click on it and click on End Process Tree. This explorer process will be killed, you’ll get the blank screen with task manager.
- Now go to file menu and click on new task (run), A run box will be opened. Type there: eplorer.exe and press enter button.
Solution 3 – Registry Fix
- Press Windows + R ( to launch Run.exe)
- In the Run program, type there regedit and hit enter
- Then in the Registry Editor program. follow this folder path route
HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Microsoft / WINDOWS NT / CurrenVersion / Winlogon
- Now click on Winlogon and after clicking then look right side pane.
- Here you have to find the Item called “shell” and click on twice (Double click)
- In the Value Data Edit box, Type Explorer.exe (The value od this key “Eplorer.exe) then click on OK
- Now restart your computer, and after restart Problem will be fixed.
After that your desktop should be restored, you will get your desktop back.
If you still not getting your desktop that means there not problem found in explorer.exe now we have to go to solution 2
Solution 4 – Run Unhide Tool Automatic Fixit
Run this Unhide tool to fix the desktop icon hide issues.
If you still not see the desktop icons that means Virus has changed some registry settings, please Download the Unhide tool and run it to unhide all the desktop of start menu data to solve the “no desktop icons issue“
Enjoy the post and if you feel the post worth to donate so please click on below to donate us.
Q: My taskbar and start menu have also disappeared. Can I use this guide to bring them back?
A: Yes, this tutorial will work to bring back the missing desktop icons, Start button, Start Menu, Task bar etc.
Q: Desktop icons won’t appear. Is it due to virus attacks or is there any other issue?
A: If you are not using any antivirus software it could be due to the virus otherwise you may try to fix if it is due to some other Windows internal problem. If there is no antivirus in the system at least download free antivirus for basic protection.
Q: Desktop icons and taskbar suddenly went. Is it due to malware?
A: Yes it could be, firstly follow the above steps to fix this issue. If it does not help then scan computer with a malware removal tool . And to avoid future occurrence always keep a free antivirus in your system to protect from basic virus attacks.