It is normal that Windows system get slow as time passes. I think every windows user face this problem sooner or later. Before we go to the tips to fix the slow windows system, first of all we have to find out the reasons that why it happens.
Why Windows Systems Slow Down over time?
There are many factors which slows down the windows system, We are discussing some of them below.
- The first reason is that when we bought a new system it has no other programs installed other then bare windows OS. And as we load more programs and files we feel it a little slow. They may load at windows startup which make the system to get slow.
- Antivirus software can also slow down Windows as its realtime scanning feature scan every file / process which is being accesses by the windows. But it is a must have software. So always choose the security software which take less resources.
- Over time as new updates come for software and games which may require more hardware resources then the previous versions. It can effect the overall performance of the Windows system and make it slow to perform.
- Magnetic hard disks stores data in pieces at different location on the disk, so as we start loading more data it takes more and more time to access & collect the pieces of data. Traditional spinning hard disks also get slow as time passes as they start ageing. SSDs are more reliable and faster then HDDs.
- Windows uses a registry based system where it create a registry entry for all software and settings. As you install / uninstall programs and uses your computer it become large and can collect junk entries which could be the reason for slow down.
- It may be possible that system get malware infected due to weak antimalware protection, which make the system to response very slow. It can also lead to eating up lots of internet data due to the malware activity.
Though the simple solution to get rid of slow computers is to buy a new system. But You can also combat the problem of a deteriorating piece of hardware with ram installations or replace the CPU or Hard Disk. But it is expensive & if you don’t have experience with technology this could be hard to learn and do.
Tips to fix a very slow Computer
Below are some tips and tricks which you can do with your windows system to fix a slow PC.
1. Optimize Windows for better performance
You can tweak your system by managing startup items, startup services and other optimizations to perform windows better as like new. Read more at optimizing windows 10 for better performance.
If you are not seeing any performance improvement in windows speed then go further and try below tips to get rid of the slow pc issue.
2. Clean folders and scan for viruses.
Extra unnecessary folders can clog up PC memory and lead to slower performance. In addition, unnecessary folders are the prime target of viruses: which can also slow down your computer. Viruses and too many folders are the leading cause of performance issues. Not only are they a hindrance towards your computer, but they also can totally destroy your computer as a whole. Luckily, there are tons of antivirus and storage cleaning/ram boosting software out there but choosing which one is up to you. However, you can manually discard folders by going through your folder and discarding unwanted pictures, videos, or documents. Antivirus software can be expensive but it’s worth the purchase when your computer performance is boosted by 10x.
Below links can be helpful for you
3. Restore your PC to a system restore point.
If you’re aware of what caused your PC performance drop and want to take it to a previous date; then you should definitely try out the system restore feature. It’s a really simple and easy fix, however, you should take notice of every program that you downloaded beforehand. You will need to be sure that the program isn’t an important feature to your PC. It’s simple to do
1. Click on the “Windows Button” and in the search bar type restore point.
2. Then, go to the System Properties box, and click system restore
3. Click NEXT choose the restore point that you are certain no important updates/downloads occurred on and NEXT -> finish.
4. Restart your PC and check for any unusual reboot, if so, take your PC to your local Best Buy TechGeek.
4. Check for Updates
This is a marketing tactic that Windows employ on its stubborn consumers that choose not to update to the most recent software. Even though updating to the most useful software can be beneficial to the consumer, software updates have a horrible social stigma attached to them. Most new software updates carry on a ton of bugs which leads to people thinking their computer is better off without them. Even though most software updates is for the best, people don’t want to update their software for the fear of their computer not running the same. This is a myth! Most Windows software updates run beautifully and lead to super high performance. How to update your software?
1. Click on the Windows icon and select settings > Update & Security > Windows Updates > Check for updates.
2. Look for update statuses
— If it says your device is up to date (skip this step)
—If updates are available to select install now and then select install.
After the installation is done, reboot your PC to see if your performance has improved.
Other things that you can do is