If your games are lagging, computer responding very slow, showing high disk / cpu usage by then it could be due to the issue with the SysMain or Superfetch service. See how you can disable this service or fix this issue.
Also read: How to fix 100% disk issue
What is Superfetch or SysMain?
Superfetch or SysMain is a legitimate Windows 10 service. Though this service is to speed up the apps but some times it create issues to some users like high CPU usage and high disk usage. In Windows XP it was known as the prefetch service and in Windows vista it was renamed to superfetch. Actually both services are same.
Actually it learns the user’s system usage pattern and efficiently manage the system for faster loading of apps and faster boot time. It is not necessary in the system but it is just for optimal performance of the system. If you want to disable it you can do it safely.
How to Disable Superfetch / SysMain?
Here is a quick method to disable this service from the Windows 10.
- Type services in the search box on task bar.
- Click on the services.
- Double click on the Superfetch or SysMain service. Or right click and select properties.
- Set the startup type ‘Disabled’. And also click on the Stop button the stop the service immediately.
How to Fix Superfetch service issue?
Below steps can be useful to fix this issue permanently without disabling it.
- Update Windows
- Update all device drivers / software and games.
- Run a PC optimizer to fix any registry issue or any other configuration issue.
- If nothing else work you can also try Resetting Windows.
Q: If Service host Superfetch is useful then why it creates problem?
A: There are many different reasons which may create issue with the Superfetch service. It may be due to the driver incompatibility, software incompatibility or stuck in a loop in pre loading of data.
Q: Is it safe to disable it?
A: Yes it is completely safe to disable this service. You can enable it again at anytime. Actually it is service to optimize the system performance.