(Solved) Print Spooler Service is Missing / Not Listed (Fixing Guide)
I am facing an issue with my print spooler service. When I try to print every time it gives me an error message “Print spooler service is not running. Please start the print spooler service” and then I went to the services page to start the print spooler service manually but I don’t see “print spooler service” there. I know, it should be there named as “print spooler“, however this time print spooler service is not listed on my services page. My print spooler service is missing. How do I solve it? do i need windows disk to repair this? Please help me to solve this issue. My computer is a windows 7 32 bit computer with 4 GB RAM. My printer model number is HP officejet j4580 All-in-one.
Your print spooler service is missing / not listed on the services page, that means your print spooler service has gone corrupted or might be possibility it has infected by virus attack or after cleaning the virus. Without print spooler service you can’t print, because print spooler service establish a communication between computer and printer. When you give a print command, that print command goes to print spooler service, then print spooler service convey that command to printer, then you got a printout.
If Print spooler service has infected by virus: That means printer spooler service & their destination files spoolsv.exe, spoolss.dll have lost their permissions. If computer don’t have the permission on these files or print spooler registry, then how computer will start the print spooler service. We can’t start it. So in order to solve this issue, first of all you have to run a virus scan on your computer, then re-permit all these files spoolsv.exe, spoolss.dll & printspooler registry. We are giving you a proper step-by-step guide how to do that, just follow the below instructions carefully.
If Print spooler service has corrupted by itself: That means printer spooler service & their destination files spoolsv.exe, spoolss.dll have gone corrupted due to unaccepted restart the computer. Anyway, In order to fix it, you have to follow some steps on that, we are providing you a proper step-by-step guide to solve that issue, just follow the below instructions carefully.
Update: We have updated windows 10’s spooler files and default registry copy. See below download links to download.
Automatic Fix it
Please Run this tool in Safemode MODE (Recommended) if you run this tool in normal mode, might it will not working properly.
Download Print Spooler Repair Tool.exe (Freeware) for WindowsXP , Vista, windows 7, windows 8.
Step 1 : Re-Permit spooler files & their registry.
- Click on Start button.
- Click on Computer.
- Open C:\ Drive.
- Open Windows.
- Open System32.
- In System32 folder, you need to find two files named as spoolsv.exe, Spoolss.dll. You need to change their permissions to administrators.
- Right click on spoolsv.exe and then click on properties option.
- Click on Security Tab.
- Click on Advanced.
- Click on Owner tab.
- Click on Edit button.
- Select Administrators, then click on Apply and then OK. Now owner set as administrator
- Click on Permission Tab.
- Click on Change Permission.
- Click on Add Button
- Type TrustedInstaller, then click on OK, and then check mark all the boxes of allow row, then click on OK
- Click on OK to finish that.
- Find a one more file named as spoolss.dll, do the same permission steps on it as well.
- Now need to restart your computer to take effects.
Doing the same process with spooler registry HKEY_Local_Machine\System\Current Version\Services\Spooler.
Restart the computer once. After restart, you’ll get your print spooler service started. If issue still persist then follow the Step2 guide.
Step 2 : Update the print spooler service registry with the help of “default registry” file of print spooler.
Step 2.1: Download print spooler service default registry file (spooler.reg), as per your Operating System.
Default “Print Spooler Service” Registry files
- Download Spooler.reg for windows xp (Note: This .reg file is compressed in zip format.)
- Download Spooler.reg for windows vista (Note: This .reg file is compressed in zip format.)
- Download Spooler.reg for windows 7 (Note: This .reg file is compressed in zip format.)
- Download Spooler.reg for windows 8 (Note: This .reg file is compressed in zip format.)
- Download Spooler.reg for windows 10 (Note: This .reg file is compressed in zip format.)
Double-Click on that downloaded .z ip file to open it.
Double-Click on that spooler.reg to execute this file.
It will prompt a message regarding: “adding the data to spooler registry” so please click on Yes.
Then it gives you a another message that says “updates has successfully finished or not “, please click on OK on it.
Now reboot the computer once. After restart, you’ll be get your print spooler service started. If issue still persist then follow then Step3 guide.
Step 3 : Update the print spooler system files, spoolsv.exe, spoolss.dll.
Download print spooler default files(spoolsv.exe, spoolss.dll), as per your Operating System.
Default “Print Spooler Service” System files.
- Download Spoolsv.exe, Spoolss.dll files for windows xp
- Download Spoolsv.exe, Spoolss.dll files for windows vista
- Download Spoolsv.exe, Spoolss.dll files for windows 7
- Download Spoolsv.exe, Spoolss.dll files for windows 8
- Download Spoolsv.exe, Spoolss.dll files for windows 10
Extract that .zip file, you’ll get two files spoolsv.exe & spoolss.dll. Copy both are them.
Open a location on your computer, C drive –> Windows –> Sytstem32.
Paste both are the files in system32 folder, during copy, it’ll ask “would you like to replace these files, these are already exist” then click on Yes to replace all them.
Restart the computer once. After restart, you’ll get your print spooler service started. If issue still persist then follow Step4 guide.
Step 4 : Run a SFC /Scannow scan on windows 7, Vista.
- Log-in into your administrator account.
- Start the command prompt with administrators rights. (click here to know more, how to start it)
- Type SFC /SCANNOW on that command prompt window then hit Enter. It will take time to complete, restart your computer after competition.
Restart the computer once. After restart, you’ll get your print spooler service started. If issue still persist then follow Step5 guide.
Step 5 : Run a scan with Hitman pro.
Click here to Download Hitmanpro_x32bit.exe
Click here to Download Hitmanpro_x64bit.exe
Restart the computer once. After restart, you’ll get your print spooler service started. If issue still persist then follow Step6 guide.
Step 6 : Run a scan with Malwarebytes.
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, then double click on it to install it.
Click Here to Download Malwarebytes.exe
2. Update online Virus Definition
3. Tick mark on “Perform quick scan” then click on Scan
4. When the scan done click on “Show results”
5. After clicking on Show result it will you a another window where you will get the found threats. Click on “Remove Selected”
Restart the computer once. After restart, you’ll get your print spooler service started. If issue still persist then contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How to fix spooler service missing issue.
- How to get rid of missing spooler servie.
- how do I remove infection of spooler service.
- Can’t change print spooler service entries
- Re-install print spooler service
- how to install latest print spooler service.
- Keeps showing spooler not running error.
- Print spooler won’t show in service page.
- I can’t see print spooler service.
- Print spooler service is not there.
- How to clear print spooler service
- Can’t look print spooler service
- Won’t find print spooler
- Couldn’t seen print spooler service
- Won’t found print spooler service
- How to reinstall print spooler service on windows 7
- How do get back my print spooler service
- What is happened with my print spooler service
- Where is my print spooler service
- I don’t see my print spooler service in services page.