How to Fix Run As Administrator not working in Windows 7, 8, 10
Today I will show you that when you right-click on any application like command prompt, power shell or any other desktop icons and if you choose “Run as Administrator” option then you do so to get full permission and full administrative rights over such application like command prompt or power shell or any other administrative applications. But what happened if you right-click an application and “Run as Administrator” option is not working or if you double-click the application then you don’t get the full administrative right or alleviated prompt. Nothing happens when I click on Run As Administrator.
In this article, I will show you what you should implement if the “Run as Administrator” command is not working. So, friends let’s go to lab and I will show you what to do then. First of all you will see the symptoms and then I will show you the solutions.
So friends, now you can see the symptoms then when you click on “Run as Administrator” then command prompt will not launch. But “compmgmt.msc” can be launched because any ‘msc’ and ‘cpl’ command can be launched. But power shell or MS Word cannot run while choosing “Run as Administrator” option. Any desktop application is not working while clicking on “Run as Administration”. Now you will see the solution below. Please follow the following step by step instructions.
How to Fix Run As Administrator not working in Windows 7, 8, 10.
- The first method is that after right-click on any desktop icon and choose the option “open file location”.
- In the folder, right click on the “.exe” application icon go to “Properties”
- Choose the “Advanced” option.
- From there you can check the “Run as Administrator” checkbox.
If you are lucky then this method will allow you to run the application as administrator but if this method is also not working then go to the next solution.
- The second solution is that you again go to “open file location”.
- Right click on the application icon and again choose “open file location” in the prompt box.
- Then you will copy the original file from system32 folder (c:\windows\system32\).
- Use the “paste shortcut” option in the original file location.
- Then copy the name of original file and delete the original file.
- Now rename the copied file with original name that you have copied.
Now the option run as administrator will work. If it still not working then move to the next solution.
Now the third step that will work for you is using the registry edit option.
- Search for Registry Editor and click on it.
- Then click on “computer” and then “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT” then click on “*” then “Shellex” then “Contextmenuhandlers”.
- Here you will have to delete some suspected entries if you are not using right click context menu for that application.
- You can use the option “Reset this PC”.
- Click on get started.
- Here you have two options, “keep my files” and “remove everything”. I will suggest you to click on “keep my files” and move forward.
- If you choose this option then all the installed applications will be uninstalled. This is due to which I will not suggest you to try this method. If other methods will not work then you can implement this method.
Then you can see that the “Run as Administrator” option will always work on any desktop icon. Now you can see the run as administrator option will work with CMD, Powershell and other applications. I hope the solution number 4 will work in your PC. If anyhow this method is not working then you can reset your PC.
Friends I hope that you can solve the problems related to “Run as Administrator” over any desktops, PCs and servers. Thank You…