How to Install a Driver Manually in Windows 7, 8, 10 (Basic .inf driver)
Here in this article, you'll learn how to install a computer's device using its basic driver (.inf driver) in Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10
Every device needs a driver to communicate with the computer. As you all know, the driver is a mandatory thing to communicate with any devices like printer, LAN card, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, audio device etc. Installing a device through its driver setup file is an easy task. But it won’t be easy, if you install a device through its basic driver (inf driver). Here in this article we’ll show you how to install a driver manually using its basic INF driver through device manager.
Sometimes the device’s full feature driver doesn’t work. Sometimes the only basic driver is available for download instead of full feature driver (with installer). So, we only have an option to install the basic driver manually using its basic driver on our computer, but some peoples don’t know how to do it. Here in this article, we will show you how you can install a computer device using its basic “.inf” driver. So, please follow the following steps carefully. We have mentioned the step-by-step guide with screenshots. We are taking an example of a laptop Wi-Fi driver (Wireless card driver). So let’s get started without wasting any delay.
How to Install a Driver Manually using its basic driver
Step 1: Download its basic driver first
To install a device driver manually, you need to download its basic driver (.inf driver) first. So, download its basic driver from its official website or other source.
Alternatively, let us know about it, we’ll provide you the drivers if possible.
Step 2: Install basic driver manually
- To install basic driver manually, you’ll require to download its basic driver (.sys, .inf driver) which should be zip format.
- Extract the zipped driver file to a location and the copy the location path.
- Right-click on “My computer / This PC” → click on Manage → Device Manager → Other devices.
- Under other devices you’ll see a device named “Network Controller“. Right-click on Network Device and click on Update driver.
- Choose the second option “Browse my computer for driver software“.
- Click on second option “Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer“.
- Click on Have Disk.
- Click on Browse.
- Now, paste the copied path in the “File name” field, and click on open button. Choose the INF file and click on Open. You can extract the full feature driver file and then find the .inf driver file in it.
- It will update the driver’s list, choose the driver “Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN” and then click on Next.
- It will start installing the driver automatically and then it will give you the successfully installed message.
- You could go to the device manger and check the basic driver (.inf) has been installed successfully.
If you face any problem while download and installing the basic driver then let us know in the comments section below, we’ll answer you there.