Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10
Windows Photo viewer is missing in Windows 10. Here in this page, we’ll show you how to get back old Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10 as a default app. You just need to follow the following steps.
If you use Microsoft Windows 10 as your operating system, you may have noticed that the Windows Photo Viewer inbuilt app from previous versions (Windows 7) of the OS has disappeared. Since this was a very simple and easy to use viewer, a lot of users have been disappointed to find that it doesn’t get activated automatically anymore.
Fortunately, it’s possible to get Windows Photo Viewer back quite easily, so you can use it in your new operating system. All you need to do to enable Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10 is to follow a few simple steps. Once you’ve done that, the program will be activated and ready for you to use. Here is what you need to do:
If you’re using a version of Windows 10 that was an upgrade from Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1, then things are pretty simple:
- Click on the Start (Window icon) and go to the Settings menu (gear icon) and then click on Apps, then choose the Default Apps option from the left side pane.
- Then, look for “Photo Viewer” – you’ll see whatever program is currently set for looking at photos. It’s most likely to be the Photos app that comes as the default with Windows 10.
- Click on the “Photo Viewer” text and you will see various options for programs you can use to view photos. One of them should be the Windows Photo Viewer.
- Choose that and then go out of the Apps section. That’s all you need, as you’ve now got your old windows 7’s photo viewer back!
If you’re running a clean install of Windows 10, meaning one where you didn’t upgrade from an older version of the OS, you’ll need to follow slightly different steps:
You are going to need to edit the Windows Registry. Always be very careful when you do this, because it’s possible to cause problems if you make errors.
- Download the default registry file (Windows Photo Viewer) to bring it back on Windows 10. Click here to download the “.reg” file windowsphotoviewer.reg.
- Merge the “.reg” file into the Registry by double-clicking on the file. You will have to go through a few checks to say you’re sure you really want to do this.
Note: Might be you have to reboot the computer once to get the changes.
- Windows Photo Viewer will now be available. Go to Control Panel’s Default Programs section and choose Set Default Programs.
- When you find the right program in the list for the type of file you want to open with Windows Photo Viewer, select it and pick set this program by default. This will make things automatic from now on.
- Congratulations! Now that you’ve managed to enable Windows Photo Viewer, you can use it just like you did with previous versions of the operating system.
Download or Update Widnows Photo Viewer with the latest version. The main file is photoviewer.dll. It runs through “rundll32.exe” file. Windows photo viewer located in “C:\Windows\System32\.” There is no direct exe file to run the windows photo viewer.
In this tutorial we have shown how to make Windows photo viewer as default in Windows 10. You may ask question regarding this in the comment section below. Bring it back by following the above steps.