Today we will talk about the DMG files. If you are familiar with macOS you surely know them. However, for Windows users, it is a little known format. Well, in today’s post we will see what they are. We will also teach you how to open dmg file in Windows 10.
What is a DMG file?
Files of this type function as container folders. Indeed, there are the programs we want to install on our computer, in a quick and easy way. Moreover, they are the equivalent of ISO files in Windows. Because when you open them, a new drive is created. When accessing it is possible to install the program or move it to the application folder. On the other hand, DMG files usually include, in addition to the files, a text document with a brief description. In other words, it is a file type created and developed by Apple specifically for Macintosh devices. As mentioned, they are a mountable disk image that allows Mac users to install files and software from the Internet.
How to open DMG files in Windows 10
Windows 10 does not have a native tool to manage these files. Therefore, it is necessary to use third party apps. Below we will show you some options.
This is an excellent tool for compressing and decompressing any type of file on the PC. It is also open source and free. It also allows you to manage DMG files.
- Download and install 7zip software on your computer. Here is the download link: https://www.7-zip.org/
- Right-click on the file and open it.
- With this option you can see all the files present in the DMG file.
- To see all the files in detail, just use the Extract option.
- Then you will see all the extracted files in the selected folder.
- To download 7zip, just go to this link.
2. DMG Extractor
This program is not free. However, you can use the trial version for specific cases. It allows you to manage files of up to 4 GBs in size.
- To start, download DMG from here. Then, run it normally.
- If everything is in order, then you will see the content of the extracted file.
Finally, I show you another free and open source option. Indeed, Peazip is designed to compress and decompress files. However, among its many functions, is to manage DMG files. Its use is similar to 7-zip as it integrates into the Windows context menu.
- Download and install Peazip software.
- Once installed, just right-click on the DMG file and press Open as archive.
- Immediately the program content will be displayed within the program.
- You can extract the whole content from there or using the context menu.
- With this intention, click on the Extract button.
- In the following menu, select the folders to be extracted and the destination. Finally, press OK.
- Back in the file explorer, you will see the successfully extracted content.
- That’s it.
We have seen different ways of managing DMG files in Windows 10. As you can see, it is not a complicated procedure. Also, if you want to know how to open other types of files, let us know! We are here to help you! Greetings!