How to Remove Lightningnewtab.com Homepage (Removal Help)
I got an adware into my chrome – lightningnewtab.com. I have removed it ones but couldn’t removed completely, I have not found where it persist. Now it keeps changing my chrome’s homepage. I removed it from settings too but it is still there. Please help me what to do to remove it?
How to Remove Lightningnewtab.com homepage from Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox.
It may sound like an exciting way to make your browser faster, but it’s actually something bad – a browser hijacker. That’s a piece of usually unwanted adware that crawls inside your system and attacks browsers like Firefox, Chrome, and Edge, to change their settings and advertise stuff at you through redirects and ads. It won’t delete files like a virus, but it can take you to unsafe places, so it’s best to get rid of it now.
Causes: A few people may install this addon hoping to enhance their New Tab features, but most of the time this is like the majority of browser hijackers and gets to you through being bundled. That’s when the software hitches a ride with a legitimate program and is set so that it installs at the same time. If you’re like most people and just want to get the installation done super-fast, you may well not even notice the hijacker.
Symptoms: The biggest red flag for the presence of Lightningnewtab.com is that the homepage you normally use will have been switched to this, which is made to look like a normal search web page. It’s mostly white, with just a couple of bars at the top and bottom of the page. There’s also a search box, which uses a special version of Google – but, unfortunately, this won’t always give you trusted results and may push you toward sponsored sites.
Prevention: Although we can help with the uninstall, it’s better to avoid the hijacker being on your PC in the first place. One of the most effective ways is to ensure that all your software comes from trusted sources and sites that you can trust. Do download any software only from its offifical website is the best experience. Even then, it’s a good idea to get into the habit of using the “Detailed” install setting so that you know exactly what’s happening. Don’t be tempted to click on spam attachments, either.
How do I get rid of Lightningnewtab.com completely?
We can help you with our step by step guides, and you get a choice of two ways. If you’re into the manual method, you can delete the files of the hijacker yourself. If you like to use an automatic method, there’s an Adware removal tool that will also remove Lightningnewtab.com completely. Once you’ve permanently gotten rid of Lightningnewtab.com hijacker, you can enjoy browsing without this annoyance getting in your way. Follow the following step by step guide how you can remove Lightningnewtab.com from your computer.
Download Adware Remover Tool to remove Lightningnewtab.com Automatically, It’s a Freeware utility specially designed for Adware Removal. This tool can remove most of the Adwares from Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. It can remove all the traces of Lightningnewtab.com from registry as well.
Step 1: To Uninstall Lightningnewtab.com from computer
- Click on Start button and then click on Control Panel.
- Now click on Programs –> Uninstall a program or Program and Features (Windows-7, 8, Vista). You also may click on “Uninstall a program”
- For Windows XP users click on Add/Remove Programs.
- You’ll get a window which has listed all the installed programs.
- Uninstall “Lightningnewtab.com” from there.
(Note: If you face any type of problem while uninstalling Lightningnewtab.com” then you can use Revo uninstaller tool, it can it remove forcefully. Click here to download Revo Uninstaller Tool).
- Also do uninstall all the unwanted & unknown programs which are listed in “Suspicious Programs list”(See below for the list). You should uninstall them immediately if you found any into your computer.
(Note: If you face any type of problem while uninstalling anything from control panel then you can use Revo uninstaller tool, it can remove any software forcefully. Click here to download Revo Uninstaller Tool).
- Uninstall all unwanted programs
Suspicious Programs list
- Browser defender
- HD-Plus 1.8
- Browser protect
- Browser protected by conduit
- Delta search, Babylon
- WebCake 3.0
- privacy safe guard
- unfriend checker
- Price peep today
- Coupon amazine
- DownloadTerms 1.0
Also uninstall all the unwanted & unknown programs which are not listed here.
Step 2 : To Remove Lightningnewtab.com from Internet Explorer.
Step 2.1: Remove Lightningnewtab.com from homepage
- Open Internet Explorer then go to Tools menu (Press “F10” key once to active the menu bar) and then click on Internet Option a configuration page will be opened, then click on General tab. Now look into under HOME PAGE Edit Box you will get www.Lightningnewtab.com, replace it to www.google.com, then click on apply and close.
Step 2.2: Remove Lightningnewtab.com add-ons from Internet Explorer.
- Open Internet Explorer then go to Tools menu (press “F10” key once to active menu bar) and then click on Internet Option a configuration page will be opened
- Click on Programs tab then click on Manage Add-ons, now you’ll get a window which have listed all the installed add-ons.
- Now disable the Lightningnewtab.com add-on, also disable all the unknown / unwanted add-ons from this list. (As per below screenshot).
Step 2.3: Reset Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer. Click on Tools menu (Press “F10” key once to active the menu bar), click on Internet Option. A internet option window will open.
- For IE9, IE10 users may click on Gear icon . Then click on tools.
- Click on Advanced tab then click on RESET button.
- Now you will get a new popup for confirmation, tick mark on Delete personal setting then click on RESET button on that. (As shown on below screenshot)
- Now your Internet Explorer has been Restored to default settings.
- Now you will appear a popup stated “complete all the tasks”. After completion click on close button.
Step 3 : To Remove Lightningnewtab.com from Mozilla Firefox
Step 3.1 : Remove Lightningnewtab.com from Mozilla Hompeage
- Open Mozilla Firefox, Click on Tools menu (If tools menu doesn’t appear then press “F10” key once to active the menu bar) then go to Options, after that a configuration page will be opened, then click on General tab and then look on the very first section named as Startup. Under start-up you will see a HOME PAGE Edit Box, under this edit box you will see www.Lightningnewtab.com, please replace it to www.google.com, then click on apply and close.
- Restart Firefox Browser
Step 3.2 : Remove Lightningnewtab.com from add-ons
- Open Firefox and then go the Tools menu (Press “F10” key once to active Menu bar) click on Add-ons, you’ll get a page click on extensions from the left side pane. now look on right side pane you’ll get all the installed add-ons listed on there. Disable or Remove Lightningnewtab.com add-on, also disable all the unknown / unwanted add-ons from there. (As per below screen shot)
Step 3.3: Reset Mozilla Firefox
- Open Firefox and then go the Help menu (Press “F10” key once to active Menu bar)
- Go to Help menu then click on “Troubleshooting information”
Note: you can also open this page in this ways, open Firefox then type this command in the address bar “about:support” (without quote) and then hit enter or OK.
- You will get a page “Troubleshooting information” page, here you will get “Reset Firefox” option in the right side of the page.
- Click on Reset Firefox option and then follow their instructions to reset firefox.
- Mozilla Firefox should be Restored.
Step 4 : To Remove Lightningnewtab.com from Google Chrome
Step 4.1: Remove unwanted homepage & search engine from Google Chrome
- Start Google Chrome, click on options icon (Located in very top right side of the browser), click on Settings. You will get a configuration page.
- Under configuration page find a option named as “Open a specific page or set of pages” click on its Set Pages. Another window will come up. Here you will appear the bunch of URL’s under “Set pages”. Delete all them and then enter only one which you want to use as your home page.
- In the same configuration page click on Manage search engines button. Delete all the search engines from there, just keep only www.goole.com as your default search Engine.
Step 4.2 : Remove unwanted extensions from Google Chrome
- Start Google Chrome, click on options icon (Located in very top right side of the browser), then click on Tools then, click on Extensions. (As shown on below screenshot)
- You will get a configuration page which have listed all the installed extensions, remove Lightningnewtab.com extension. Also remove all the unknown / unwanted extensions from there. To remove them, click on remove (recycle bin) icon (as shown on screenshot)
Step 4.3 : Reset Google Chrome – Restore to default setting.
- Open Google Chrome, click on menu icon and then click on settings (Note: menu icon is located right side top corner it is look like this: ). (See the below screenshot for better understand)
- Scroll down and click on “Show advanced settings…”option, after click on that you’ll appear some more options in bottom of the page. Now scroll down more and click on “Reset Browser setting” option. (See the below screenshot for better understand)
- Now, Close all Google Chrome browser’s window and reopen it again.
Step 5 : Remove Lightningnewtab.com infection from Windows shortcuts.
Follow the following steps for all browser’s shortcuts like: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari as well.
- Right click on the shortcut of Internet Explorer and then do left click on the properties option. You’ll get a shortcut’s properties.
- Click on shortcut tab and then delete the “www.Lightningnewtab.com/?utm” string from target field.
- Need to delete this URL:
Repeat the above steps on all browser’s shortcuts like: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari in all location Desktop / Taskbar / Startmenu.
- Remove Lightningnewtab.com infection from startmenu’s shortcuts.
- Remove Lightningnewtab.com infection from taskbar’s shortcuts.
Step 6 : To Remove Lightningnewtab.com from Registry
- Press “window key + R” (Flag sign key + R) you will get Run box then type “REGEDIT” into the run box then click on OK. You’ll get a registry editor window.
- In the registry editor, click on Edit menu and then click on find option, you’ll get edit box to search any string into registry editor
- Type “Lightningnewtab.com” into the find box and then click on Find Next.
- The search result will highlight the key or value which have contains the Lightningnewtab.com string.
- Now delete the Registry Key/Value/Value-Data if any one contains “Lightningnewtab.com” string (must see the example screenshot below)
Note:- Do not delete the complete value data, just delete the Lightningnewtab.com path only (for example see screenshot3 below)
- Use F3 key to find Next. and do the last step to all results.
- We are giving you the example on “Conduit” Adware.
Step 7 : To Remove Lightningnewtab.com from Autorun Tasks
- Click on Start button and then do Right-Click on the computer and then do left-click on Manage. A manage window will appear.
- In the manage window click on Tasks Scheduler from right side pane, then click on “Task Scheduler Library“, Now look on left side pane and Remove all the Tasks which have contains Lightningnewtab.com string and also remove all the unknown / unwanted tasks from there (As per the screenshot below).
Step 8 : To Remove Lightningnewtab.com from Startup
- Press “window key + R” (Flag sign key + R) you will get Run box then type “MSCONFIG into the run box then click on OK. You’ll get a msconfig window.
- In the msconfig window click on Startup tab, here you’ll get all the startup entries, so look on the list and then do Un-check the entries which is contains Lightningnewtab.com. Also Un-check all the others entries which you found unwanted. then click on OK to apply all the changes.
Step 9 : To Remove Lightningnewtab.com from Services
- Press “window key + R” (Flag sign key + R) you will get Run box then type “MSCONFIG” into the run box then click on OK. . You’ll get a msconfig window.
- In the msconfig window click on Services tab, here you’ll get all the start-up services list, click on “Hide Windows Services” all the windows related services will be hidden. now it’s only display the 3rd party installed services, now look on the list and then do Un-check the service which have contains Lightningnewtab.com. Also Un-check all the unknown / unwanted services. then click on OK to apply all the changes.
Step 10 : To remove Lightningnewtab.com registry entries with Adwcleaner.exe
10.1 : Download adwcleaner from the below link.
Click Here to Download: Adwcleaner.exe
10.2 : Run that downloaded file (Adwcleaner.exe).
10.3 : When you get it started, click on scan button to search the Lightningnewtab.com files and registry entries (As shown below screenshot).
10.5 : When scanning process will be finished, click on Clean button to delete all the Lightningnewtab.com files and registry entries (as shown on below screenshot)
Step 11 : To remove Lightningnewtab.com with Hitman-Pro
Click here to Download Hitmanpro_x32bit.exe
Click here to Download Hitmanpro_x64bit.exe
Step 12 : To remove Lightningnewtab.com with Malwarebytes.
12.1 : Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, then double click on it to install it.
Click Here to Download Malwarebytes.exe
12.2 : Update online Virus Definition
12.3 : Tick mark on “Perform quick scan” then click on Scan
12.4 : When the scan done click on “Show results”
12.5 : After clicking on Show result it will you a another window where you will get the found threats. Click on “Remove Selected”